Friday, March 30, 2012

Still Jangly

The month of boo-hoo continues.

Pearl had a minor collision this morning in the parking lot of the high school. She is only slightly wounded (the piece of trim that ripped off is sitting on the front seat) but the other car doesn't look so good.

The irony does not escape me. During the 12 years I had Boys at the high school I constantly reminded them that with all the beginning drivers turned loose here, this parking lot is only slightly less collision-prone than a bumper car arena. None of them ever got so much as a scratch on the clunkers we kindly called school cars.

I was at the school to practice with soloists who will be competing in regional contest in a couple of weeks, but by the time the other driver and I had exchanged insurance information and phone numbers the class was half over.

"I'm sorry I'm late," I told the band director. "I was in a fender bender in the parking lot, and no one's hurt, but I'm a little...." And with this I burst into tears.

She kindly patted me on the shoulder and sent me home (I think she didn't want me scaring her students).

I am, as my sisters and I say, a mess. That's our euphemism for being irrationally sobby. I know there is no rational reason to be crying, and as I remind myself  of that fact, I mop away tears.

I'm ready for March to march away.

1 comment:

  1. You mean that you get teary eyed over great music and simply flat out sob if it holds even the slightest meaning to you? You got choked up at ANY school function because you'd seen some of those kiddos make amazing strides since kindergarten? You try to explain why a passage in the Bible meant so much to you and all that comes out are tears and snot?!!

    ME TOO!

    I'm so glad to know I have company (& such good company at that)!

    ReplyDelete