Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Clearing Up A Misperception

I may have given the perception over the past few weeks that once the Boys reached the age of majority  Husband and I stopped worrying about them.

"Lah-di-dah!" you imagined us saying. "They're leaving for school!"

"Lah-di-dah! They're out of the house and I don't have to cook any more!"

"Lah-di-dah! The remote control is all mine again!"

Sometimes I fool myself into thinking this perception is true.

"Lah-di-dah! Lah-di-dah! Lah-di-dah!"

But then two of the four Boys go through wretched re-entries into university life. They buck up, and they're handling it, but...wretched.

And then I remember how hard it was to leave them in daycare when I went back to work, how I wept all day even though I knew they were where they should be. How I wished I could somehow fix their unhappiness.

I remember it like it was this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment