Friday, September 23, 2011

Road of Good Intentions

We're off on a road trip today to see Boy#1 and Boy#4--it's parents' weekend at the university where both are conveniently enrolled. (This location was formerly referred to as "Far University" but since we now have a Boy studying at a University that is even Far-ther, I'm going to have to rename. Far University South?)

Since we started this college merry-go-round I've been racked with guilt at not being a very good college mom, or at least I've thought to myself, "Hmmm. I wonder if I should be doing something now that the Boys are all far away? Naw, Top Chef is on." My friends are terrific college moms who send their children care packages and little notes and other reminders that even though the young'uns are far away, they are still present in their hearts. I, on the other hand, THINK about doing those things but the thoughts mostly stay in my head.

So last night I decided to whip up a batch of cookies to take along today. My go-to recipe* is the Molasses Crinkles recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook we got as a wedding present. It's kind of like my chocolate sheetcake recipe--foolproof, and guaranteed to be good.

Except when it is not, which is the case when you open the cupboard to get out the baking soda and the container of cupckake liners drops into the bowl of the mixer as it is in the process of whipping up the shortening and molasses and eggs. It is astonishing how many cupcake liners can be incorporated into batter during  the frantic lunge to turn the mixer off.

I pulled the sticky papers out and did the best I could to scrape off the goo before I finished adding ingredients, but I think the detour might have affected the final product, since instead of being flattish and crinkled the cookies are roundish and smooth.

It's the thought that counts, right?



*Hey! I just found the recipe online! It's here, but if you don't want to click over, I'm copying it in. It's a BETTY CROCKER recipe. I did not create it myself. I'm giving credit, Betty, so don't send your lawyers after me.

Molasses Crinkles
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  •  1 cup packed brown sugar
  •  1/4 cup mild-flavor molasses or full-flavor molasses
  •  1 egg
  • 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
  •  2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  •  1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Granulated sugar  
  • Mix shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg thoroughly in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Heat oven to 375°F. Grease cookie sheet. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Dip tops in granulated sugar. Place balls, sugared sides up, 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Sprinkle each with 2 or 3 drops of water. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set but not hard. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment