Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Forgetting Our Roots

We're bundling up around here and buying extra milk and bread and making sure Our Dog Pepper's heat lamp hasn't burned out and checking the code words for school closings and...

Oh, who am I trying to kid? We are doing NOTHING to prepare for Winter Storm Q*, which the weather guys are frantically warning us IS COMING. Soon! With winter in it!

This winter has been so mild that we Kansans have gotten complacent. Winter, shminter, we're saying. Why, those pansies on the East Coast who just got 14 feet of snow just don't know how us pioneers deal with the elements.

We're saying that today because the storm is supposed to hit tomorrow and on the day before the storm it's easy to be all manly and rugged. Tomorrow? We will be whining.

It's cooooold, we will say. I don't waannnna go to work, we will say. Why do they neeeever cancel school around here, we will say. I wanna stay hoooooome, we will say.

Or maybe that's just me.

I think I'd better stop by the store before I go home. Sigh.


*Also, why are the coastal storms sexily named Nemo, and Snowpocalypse, and Snowmageddon, and the Midwest storms named the oh-so-descriptive Q? Hrmph.

Edited to add: Well, huh. Maybe Q is descriptive? Thanks for the heads-up, Alert Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment