Monday, March 7, 2011

Nom Nom Nom

It's spring break, and you know what that means--real Texas grapefruit! Pecan-flavored coffee! The Three Bears rolled in at Late and Later last night for a brief stop-over at the home place before leaving for the other more important dates they have on their dance cards. She said, with a slight hint of bitterness.

Oh, I kid. In their shoes I'd choose the Big 12 basketball tournament or a quick visit to friends on the edge of the country over a week in Small Town as well. And, to be quite honest, a full week of sleeping Boys and unmade beds plus the impending end of tax season actually is not the best recipe for peace and tranquility.

But speaking of recipes, this first empty nest spring break has underscored what I had suspected: When the Boys are home I cannot stop cooking. Apparently I unconsciously equate a full house with a full refrigerator, and a full pantry, and a full family.

Even before they left Texas I had made double batches of their favorite cookies because I'm quite certain three average-sized kids will be able to eat 10 dozen molasses crinkles and chocolate chip cookies in the ONE DAY they'll be home.
Then I stirred up Alton Brown's Overnight Cinnamon Rolls so that they'd wake up to the smell of cinnamon sugar love wafting up the stairs.

Don't bother to point out that this culinary overkill is ridiculous--I'm fully aware my Boys are way past the age when they need their mother to make sure they're fed and dressed. But also don't try to stop me from replacing the healthy menus husband and I have been following with The Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak for supper.

It's just for today, and it isn't called comfort food for nothing: The Boys don't need this food, but their mother needs to cook it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment