Friday, May 30, 2014

Friday Orts and a Blurb

Okay, I promise that this is the last adorable picture of Boy#4 I will post this week. This month, even. But isn't this the cutest thing? My sister, my sister-in-law, and I all gave birth to sons within three months of each other, and those boys are now fully-grown adults. A., shown here with Four, is off to a prestigious law school in the fall. J., who for some reason didn't make it into this picture, is teaching at a technical college and soon will be a first-time father. Four--well, you know all about Four because I've maybe mentioned him in the past few weeks.

I don't remember growing older--cue the music.


*****
However, I will never understand young'uns. All four Boys and Lovely Girl are in the same city this week as they coordinate vacations to take advantage of "free" sporting tickets that only cost them plane fare halfway across the country and a week's worth of lodging, but I digress.

Boy#3 and Boy#4 traveled together and were good enough to keep us informed of their whereabouts via text message. (Who says relentlessly saying "You'll text, won't you?" doesn't work?) At one point they were delayed on the tarmac almost two hours and Four was getting restless. Airplane seating was not designed for young men who are over 6'3", and the texts were beginning to sound surly, so I switched into chirpy mode.

"Look at this as a good thing--you can get more reading done!" I Pollyanna-d.

"Didn't think we'd be on the ground for two hours and I didn't bring a book" he Mr. Pendleton-ed back.

I had no response because WHO DOESN'T BRING A BOOK ON A PLANE? I was there when he was born but I was left with the feeling that this is not a child of mine at all. I bring a book when I go to the convenience store for gas, just in case there's someone in front of me in line.

*****
And now for our blurb: Husband and I try to eat well. Really, we do. But the past few weeks, which brought a tsunami of graduations, showers, reunions, etc., have been disastrous for our good intentions. This week I fired up the grill, and now we're at least trying to do better. Again.

Last night we had salmon. Husband isn't a big fan of seafood but one of his favorite clients sent him home with a sample of these salmon fillets once and we've been hooked ever since. (That was a fish joke; did you get it?)

I buy them at Sam's, and they are easy and delicious, but don't cook them any way except on the grill, in a drawer-shaped container that you fold out of foil. This step of folding the little box makes you feel crafty and dextrous and the salmon itself makes you feel nutritionally virtuous.

What more could you ask?


No comments:

Post a Comment