Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Orts and Blurb

I think it's the sign of a very good life that it's Friday! Again! Already!

Another sign of a very good life? The magnificent sunrise that greeted me literally at my front door this morning. People, this is the view from my front porch and if I were a better photographer you'd know that there's not much in life that is more beautiful than a sunrise behind the main administration building at Small College.

*****
It occurred to me yesterday that the armadillo I encountered on my morning walk a few weeks ago probably wrote an entirely different blog post about the incident than I did. I amused myself for several minutes writing this imaginary post in my head. ("There I was, just peeking into the attorney's window to see if he'd left me any tasty treats, when this MONSTER appeared. She was huge and smelled terrible, and she jumped straight up in the air when she saw me, but I CHASED her....") 

Why, yes. I'm easily amused. How could you tell?

*****
It's a big day in my extended family--we're officially gaining a member! Today my nephew and his tiny armful of sweetness are tying the knot, the first of three cousin weddings over the next 60 days. Blessings to you, J and K, and may all your troubles be little ones.

*****

Source

Finally, a blurb.

I love garlic. Love it, love it, love it. I use it in practically every savory thing I cook, from spaghetti to potato salad. But I do not like the way the garlic peel sticks to every surface, especially my just-washed hands, so my eyes lit up when I saw the big bag of peeled garlic at Sam's.

Husband was skeptical. Would I really use that much garlic before it spoiled? At $2.98 for the enormous bag, though, I decided to give it a shot. (The size we got did not come in the jar, as pictured, but in a bag. This point is crucial to my blurb. It was, however, this brand.)

The good news is that pre-peeled garlic truly is convenient. The bad news is that the bag apparently is made of some kind of atmosphere-permeable material that keeps the garlic fresh but is completely ineffective in containing the garlicky odor produced by several hundred peeled cloves. We found ourselves opening the refrigerator just enough to pull out the milk jug then quickly slamming the door shut to try to contain the fumes.

In fact, a few minutes ago when I asked Husband to verify the brand of the garlic he didn't want to brave opening the crisper. "Just say 'Stinky.' Or 'Odorous,'" he told me.

So I'd give mixed reviews to pre-peeled garlic since the whole house reeks of garlic. But is that such a bad thing? And we've had not a single problem with vampires this week, so I'm giving this product  a thumbs up.

Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. My daughter goes to school there, she is a softball player--senior year. Love that place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your daughter, Mrs. B! She's the best tweeter I know.

      Delete
  2. Well, I am not allowed to get a twitter account and I think she might be a bit over the top sometimes (just going by others reactions). So I apologize in advance and for the past for anything offensive she might have said. My niece in Indiana graduated from HS this spring and hubby and I went to her grad. We were talking about tweeting and the niece said she didn't always understand Sara's tweets but most of the time they were funny. She went on to say--I don't know who Friends is but Sara really doesn't like them at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's HILARIOUS and I'm the original prude-mom, so no worries. Also, I laughed (out loud) when I read your niece's comment about Friends.

      Delete