Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Kansas, You're Mean

Oh, Kansas. Why you gotta be so mean?

No, no, Kansas, I still love you, even though you huffed and puffed and blew most of the sweetgum tree in our back yard down onto the deck last night. I do appreciate the rain that came with the wind, because I remember all too well that last year at this time I was doggedly emptying water out of the aquifer and onto our dying lawn and this year the Boys are MOWING.

And I'm not even mad because this tree is the one we we rely on to shade the back of our house--I appreciate that you left the apple tree on the other side of the deck mostly intact. I mean, you had taken down half of that tree a few years ago, but we still have the potential for enough apples to make a pie this year! Woo!

And I do appreciate that you blew last night from east to west rather than the customary west to east, because you could have brought the top of the sweetgum down on the roof rather than toward the back yard, and then we'd be having an entirely different conversation, one that begins with a call to the insurance agent and ends with fretting about rising premiums.

No, I'm irritated with you, Kansas, because as I was scoping out the storm damage this morning the phrase "Why you gotta be so mean?" popped into my head, and I vaguely knew it was A Thing so when I got to work I Googled it. Then I watched the Taylor Swift video that came up in response to the query, and now all my brain can think is "Someday, I'll be livin' in a big ol' city...."

Oh, Kansas. You have infected me a tween song. Why you gotta be so mean?




No comments:

Post a Comment