Friday, October 19, 2012

My Doppelganger. Or Not.

You know that theory that every person has, somewhere among the teeming humanity, an identical twin? That there is a person walking around out there who looks exactly like you, acts exactly like you, would fool your husband into thinking you were THE SAME PERSON if that identical twin suddenly took your place, not realizing that you are purely good and the identical twin is purely evil?

Yeah. I've never subscribed to that theory either until yesterday, when I met the woman who may be my doppelganger. Oh, she's red-headed and I'm (thank you, Clairol) blonde; she's two inches taller than I am, and mrhmpher pounds narrower; she gets paid to write, and my writing time is usually stolen from the job that pays me to do other things.

Still, we're both bloggers--she's at the fabulous Pillow A La Mode, and I'm in this little corner of the internet. We're both the mothers of all boys, although I "only" have four, and she and her husband have a combined seven, which makes me gasp with admiration. We both take our coffee with cream. We both play the piano (and I'm counting this although she is good at it and I'm inept but willing).

We met because she lives lives only a few miles away and mutual friends kept telling we must meet, and I must say: I don't know that I've ever had so much fun on a blind date. We sat down with our (creamed) coffee and the first time I glanced at my watch we had been talking for 84 minutes. It felt as if we'd just scratched the surface of getting to know each other.

But then we walked out to our cars, still thinking of one more thing to say, and she said, "Oh, here! I made you a little something," and handed me a gorgeous little polka-dotted bag containing a couple of her special a-la-mode creations. It was such a kind, thoughtful thing to do that I stood there goggling at her, uncharacteristically speechless.

I had just realized: She is thoughtful and kind, and didn't say a single word during our long coffee break that didn't put me at ease. She definitely is the good twin, which means I must be the evil twin.

My entire self-concept may have to be revised.



20 comments:

  1. This made me laugh out loud!!! Thank you for such a fun take on a REALLY fun coffee date! Can't wait for the next one! P.S. Did you notice that our cars are the same color too??? Spooky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously laughed out loud at the end of this story! I LOVE your writing, and only wish I might be the step-sister, albeit, the evil one, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Jan, if you were around you'd be the good stepsister. Also, the beautiful one. If you weren't so darned nice.... :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great post! I LOVE Katherine over at Pillows A-La-Mode. It must have been lovely to meet your "twin"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the weather was great, D3. We'll never duplicate the fun.

      Delete
  5. Well as I follow pillows a la mode, I better follow the evil twins too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed the link from Katherine's post to your blog and am so glad I did. I love how you write! I hope I someday have the opportunity to meet one of my blogging friends in person (and that it goes as well as your encounter did)!

    Karen @ folkhaven.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful...in every way. I too came over from Katherine's link. I'm going to meet a fellow blogger as well, though she lives in a different country! Can't wait.

    Lovely story. So happy to hear that two lovely women met. Now to find out what's in the bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I don't even "know" a blogger in another country. Can't wait to hear the report.

      Delete
  8. So neat! It's really great meeting another pea from the pod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to put it. Katherine WAS wearing green...

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful idea. I was smiling all the time while reading your post. Hope you continue to meet. Now, off I go to find my doppelganger.

    ReplyDelete