Friday, May 18, 2012

Current Events

Donna Summer. Image borrowed from last.fam
Last night at supper (also known as dinner in Downton Abbey and other fancy places) Husband and I were discussing the day's events with the two Boys who will be at home this summer.

Topic number 1, of course, was the passing of the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer. Say what you will about the relative musicality of the disco genre, that woman had some pipes. Husband and I belted a few bars from some of her top hits, disco drumming the edge of the dinner table, so that Boy#3 and Boy#4 would see just how great she had been:

"Ooooh, love to love you baby (BAdabada-BAdabada-BAdabada-BAdabada)"

"She works hard for her money (BUM-bah-dah, BUM-bah-dah, BUM), so hard for her money (BUM-bah-dah, BUM-bah-dah, BUM), she works hard for her money, so you'd better treat her right!"

The Boys were suitably impressed, if their googly eyes and slightly slack jaws were any indication. Then Husband casually mentioned something that stopped my disco beat right in its tracks.

"You know, when I was in high school I thought Donna Summer and Donna Fargo were the same person. I thought she was just a really versatile singer."

Say what? You thought "Bad Girls" and "The Happiest Girl in the Whole U.S.A." were sung by THE SAME PERSON? Well, okay. I'll overlook that.

What I won't overlook is that for the rest of the evening (and apparently through the entire night since I woke up singing it) my mind was busy searching for the words to the refrain of "The Happiest Girl." I was doing this with a synaptic system that can't retain PIN numbers worth a hoot, so it was a strenuous exercise, but I finally nailed the lyrics and as of this moment my mind has had the following on auto-repeat for the past SIXTEEN HOURS:

Shine on me, sunshine, walk with me, world, it's a SKIP-pety doo-dah day. 
I'm the happiest girl in the whole U.S.A.

I may need shock therapy.


1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I have you beat. I've been randomly humming the "All of Me" parody that was a part of the student protest from back in May!!

    ReplyDelete