Friday, January 7, 2011

I'll Miss This

For the past several months I've often awakened at 3 a.m. with the certainty that I would not be able to get back to sleep.

That happens to us middle-aged women. It's something, like thinning eyebrows, that NO ONE HAD WARNED ME ABOUT. Thanks a lot, friends who've already been down this path.*

Usually if I wake up at 3 a.m., after the initial panic I realize it's a great time for uninterrupted prayer. So I wait to see who comes to mind, and I have a peaceful minute or two or twenty placing that person at the feet of God.

Last night when I woke up I realized it hadn't been hormones but the pitter-patter of size 12 feet on our creaky wooden stairs that awakened me. That made my choice of prayer subjects easy, and I smiled as I placed them before the throne.

Thank you, God, for these Boys, and for the delight they bring me. May they be a joy to You as well.

And then I realized the other thing that woke me was the wafting smell of this:

Ooooh.

*Boys, you will want to ignore this footnote. Husband was laughing as he brought me the paper last night and showed me this cartoon. Also this one. It's a good thing I have a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment