Tuesday, February 23, 2016

We Really Can't Stay

I am so far behind in blogging that I haven't even told you about the delightful weekend Husband and I spent with Boy#1 and Lovely Girl a couple of weeks a full month ago. (Yikes! Time does fly when you're flailing around with the last remaining oar trying to keep the alligators out of the boat.)

Our favorite young married couple is also our favorite new set of homeowners, and now I see why my in-laws routinely came to visit us and stayed for a week at a time. Visiting your young adult offspring is so much fun, in so many ways.

There was, of course, the "new" house, a 1940s bungalow that has been lovingly updated to keep the charming parts intact. Some of the charming parts are no longer in their original use (see above: Doc the Dachshund, which I knitted for their first Christmas together, now making his home in the old telephone nook) but the built-ins! And the cedar-lined closets! And the non-open concept which, mark my words, they will love so much more than all those people who have opened their kitchens to the living areas and will regret this decision when they have to stare at the chaos of Thanksgiving dinner preps while they're trying to enjoy their turkey in dining area and pretend it took no effort at all. That whole open concept will scream LIAR! at them.

Ahem. I believe that's what's known as a tangent.

Anyway, the weekend felt extremely passing-of-the-torch-ish. We always had a list of to-do's for Husband's parents when they visited, partly because we needed things done and partly because they came from hard-working German stock and if we didn't have work for them they would find it for themselves, which led me to make some regrettable decisions.

So while Husband and Boy#1 reinstalled a door that had been removed from a stairway, Lovely Girl and I replaced the canning jar sconces inside the front door. (Seriously, previous owners? You made so many lovely and tasteful choices then do a belly-flop on the first thing you see inside the house?)

We also ate at interesting food joints, worshiped with them in their new congregation, visited their new office (after hours), and watched several backlogged episodes of The Price Is Right. We talked, and we talked, and we talked.

It was a lovely, lovely weekend. I hope we can do it again soon. And I promise, One and LG, we won't stay a full week. Track record to the contrary. I would really rather not make regrettable decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment