Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Orts and a Blurb


In case anyone ever asks, this is my favorite flower and this is the perfect time of the year to spy wild sunflowers on the roadsides. Happiness on a stem.

*****
This week a couple of bloggers were talking about their Daydream Dream Jobs. (Yes, I know I should be linking to them, but because I am a bad citizen of the blogging community I didn't make a note of any of these blogs and now I'm too lazy to go back and find them.) Anyway, I found myself wondering what would be my Daydream Dream Job. Travel writer? Maybe, except that I don't want to be paying attention and taking notes when I travel. Bakery/coffee shop? Maybe, except that I don't want to have to worry about paying customers and the tyranny of retail. Yarn shop? Maybe, except that this is already being done to perfection in Small Town and I wouldn't want to go needle-to-needle with that. The job I really want is to travel and write and bake and knit, without the pressure of making these joys a job. In other words, what I want is what I have. Yay!

*****
Whiplash caution ahead: I'm about to veer precipitously from What I Love to What Makes Me Crazy and what's making me crazy today is chalk paint on beautiful old antique wood. People! Stop that! I know you young'uns don't want our stuff, and I get that. If being around during the dispersal of households has taught me anything, it's that one man's treasure is another man's sad-and-sorry auction fodder. But seeing lovely old pieces that have survived a hundred years with their wood grain intact only to be set upon by a DIY-er wielding chalk paint and distressing tools is, well, distressing to me. If that dresser was manufactured in the past 50 years or less, have at it. Otherwise, put down your paint sprayer and back away.

*****
The Blurb of the Week this week is not a thing but a link. (I know! Have I run out of kitchen gadgets?) One of the things I like to do while traveling and baking and knitting is to listen to podcasts. Once I finished the wonderful Serial,though, I didn't know where to find good ear fodder.

Here:  http://blog.lionbrand.com/2015/09/13/listen-while-you-stitch-our-favorite-podcasts/

This blog gives the favorite podcast links of some professional knitters (yes, there is such a thing) and I plan to bookmark it and refer to it often.

You should, too--your ears will thank me.

1 comment:

  1. As a child, my dream job was to work in a doughnut shop. Then as a teenager I achieved that dream, and it was not all that I had imagined.

    ReplyDelete