Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday Orts and Blurbs


Life has been all a'whirl here, to the point that I pretty much forgot that Mother's Day is Sunday. And then! The flower delivery guy arrived in my office! I do love flowers, and I do have the loveliest offspring in the world. This bouquet was especially timely because when I went out to spring Pearl from the garage this morning I discovered that the week of Kansas thunderstorms had done a number on my peonies.

Awwww, Kansas.

*****
The end of of the academic year also is the time discretionary dollars expire in Small College's cafeteria. As a result, the financial aid officer has brought everyone coffee (and bananas, and granola bars) every day this week in the interest of not wasting the money left on her card. It's like having Santa Claus just down the hall, except that we don't have to be at all good.

*****
For those who have asked, my quadruple-bypassed uncle is doing just fine. He was home within a week of surgery, and I thank you for your concern. I am so grateful for the hardy stock from whence I came.

*****
This week's blurb belongs to another kitchen find. (Go figure. You knew it was either kitchen stuff or knitting stuff.)

Years ago (no, I'm not exaggerating) I bought a package of Ziploc Zip 'n Steam bags. Then I lost them in the recesses of my aluminum foil/plastic wrap drawer, and they didn't emerge again until a couple of months ago when I was de-stuffifying that drawer.

People, these are amazing. I have used them only for microwaving vegetables, but the results are so, so much better than any other way I've found to cook stuff that's good for you. Frozen Brussels sprouts? Delicious. Fresh green beans? Easy and cooked perfectly. Frozen peas? Taste fresh.

I know you can get steam-in-the-bag frozen vegetables and it's the same principle, but the non-steam-in-the-bag veggies are cheaper and these Ziploc bags can be rinsed out and reused. And reused. And reused again. You are SAVING MONEY while you get your antioxidants.

Anyway, I'm loving these bags. I'd offer you a Brussels sprout to convince you but I ate them all.

1 comment:

  1. Favorite line: "It's like having Santa Claus just down the hall, except that we don't have to be at all good."

    I have got to try those bags.

    ReplyDelete