Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday Orts and a Blurb

Today's graphic is in honor of Valentine's Day and of the lovebirds (also known as Husband and MomQueenBee) who live in the House on the Corner. The fact that I did not bestir myself to change its color to red is in honor of the general attitude this particular pair of lovebirds have toward Valentine's Day, that attitude being "meh." He proves every single day that he like me, as evidenced by his dropping of everything to rescue me from car trouble yesterday. Aspiring lovebirds? That's how you do it.

*****
The Winter Olympics have been up on the second monitor at my desk this week, and I glance at NBC's internet streaming  from time to time so I can see just which world-class athlete is crashing at the moment. (Seriously--the men's short program in figure skating was like watching Nascar if Nascar had a lot more sparkly tights.) The best part of the off-prime-time coverage is the second string of announcers, all of whom seem to be British. I don't know who the woman skating commentator was but she sounded exactly like Lady Mary. My favorite comment was about Jeremy Abbott, who took perhaps the most spectacular fall I've seen outside of America's Funniest Home Videos. "When he's good he's spellbinding," Fake Lady Mary said of Abbott. "When he's not, he's...disappointing." Oooooh, burn.

*****
It occurred to me that there are now two generations behind me who have no idea where "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" originated. So sad--I can still see that poor ski jumper cartwheeling off the end of the ramp, as he did every Saturday afternoon of my youth.

*****
Source
Blurb of the Week: It's tax season and that means long hours for my CPA, who is also the CPA of a lot of other people but the Husband only of me. Those hours are probably a good thing right now, because I've discovered the world of BBC detective shows. Last week I blurbled about Sherlock, this week I found Luther, so it's just as well Husband was at the office and not trying to compete with Idris Elba for my attention.

If you have Netflix and can check this out, go ahead and shake hands with a sick person because you're going to want to take a couple of sick days once you get started on this series. It's dark and fascinating and the only purely good person in it is the sidekick, but it's so mesmerizing I found myself forgetting to knit while I watched.

It's not for the faint of heart, but Luther will make you realize how good a television series can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment