Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Soooo Tiiiiiired

Photo borrowed from here.
When the Boys were little, I was tired all the time. All. The. Time. Finally I decided to have my constant fatigue checked by our family doctor.

Dr. D was kind of a kooky guy who wore Hawaiian shirts instead of a white coat but he won the Boys' hearts by looking for rabbits in their infected ears. (You had to be there; it was adorable.)

"I'm so tired all the time," I told him. "I wake up tired, and I go to bed tired, and every minute in between I'm tired. There's never a minute in my day that I don't wish I could lay down and take a nap."

He looked at my chart, then at the children swarming around my feet.

"Let's see, how old are your boys now?" he asked.

"Five, four, two, and five months," I told him.

"And how many are in diapers?" Two.

"And how many still are nursing during the night?" One.

"And how many nap during the same time every day?" None.

"Well," he said, closing the chart, "I think we're closing in on the problem."

But he was wrong! I had low thyroid output! Bam! A prescription for Synthroid made me feel like a human being again.

Last night I was talking to some friends, and our conversation went like this:

Friend #1: "I'm so tired these days.

Me: "Me, too."

Friend #2: "Me, too."

Friend #3: "Me, too."

Everyone I know is tired, and would like nothing better than a long, long nap.

Then I looked back on the last six weeks, a span during which I have seen the conclusion of tax season, the decline and passing of my mother-in-law with its attendant ceremonies and responsibilities, the graduation of two children, increased responsibilities in two of my community activities, and the flurry of comings and goings that mark life transitions of new graduates. Oh, and a nasty bronchial virus that struck the day after my mother-in-law died and hung around until just last week.

I think we're closing in on the problem: Obviously my Synthroid dose needs adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment