Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Musical Harvest

I know you all are tired of hearing about the wonderfulness that is Boy#3's final undergraduate year as a trombone major. In the past three weeks he has soloed with the university orchestra, played a recital in Small Town, and presented his senior recital at Big University. For music majors, this season is like harvest for farmers--the time when all the hard work pays off, and you pray that the hailstorm (or the upper respiratory infection) stays away.

With last night's recital we officially declared the musical harvest season a success. Husband and I fought cheek-splitting grins of pride and happiness, and at the time (between selections) I found the whispered comment "I think his tongue is unhinged" from the retired pastor sitting next to us the funniest thing I had ever heard in my life.

A week ago, when I nervously took the stage as Three's accompanist for his Small Town recital, I remembered that my mother had said that one of the best parts of being a parent is seeing your children being better than you are. I thought about the dozens of hours we'd spent playing together since he began taking lessons in fourth grade, and how over the years he has way outstripped my ability to accompany him (see the post where I explain being a Semi-Competent But Willing pianist).

For the final performance last night, though, Three had a professional accompanist whose proficiency freed him from having to wonder about his pianist, as well as a percussionist who not only was a fantastic drummer and marimba player but also played a mean brake drum and piano chain. Really.

And I made refreshments for the post-recital reception. These cupcakes, and these truffles, and these bars, and these cookies, and these complete flops. Add to that these cupcakes and another batch of cupcakes I don't even have the recipe for that my Much Older Sister provided, and I'm pretty sure no one went away hungry.

It's been a great harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment