Friday, February 4, 2011

'Tis a Gift to be Simple

The renovation project in my office building has reached the stage John Steinbeck famously referred to as "progress looking much like destruction." Next week the contractors will bar my work group from our office suite (Hello, asbestos abatement! Come on in, demolition!) and we'll be living in the conference room for the next month or so.

This arrangement above is my new workspace: An eight-foot table, and a rolling television cart. Plus my  philodendron. We decided to take only what we needed to work for a few weeks, and as soon as my computer and telephone are installed on that table, I'm all set.

I'm not a big fan of change, and an even un-bigger fan of moving. I've told the Boys that I plan to kick the bucket in the House at the Corner of Drainage Street and Halfway Down the Hill. At that point my progeny are to carry me out and set the place on fire.

Now that I'm seeing the Hoarders-esque accumulation that surrounds me after 16 years in my current office, and how little of it I actually use in my day-to-day operations,  I'm thinking my co-workers need the same post-mortem instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment