Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Is This a Great Country Or What?

Courtesy of Etsy.com
The past couple of weeks have been--how should I describe them? Heavy?

Full of emotions, from the passing of my mother-in-law and the ensuing rites of passage, to some familial transitions that are VERY COOL but not yet mine to share, to the suffocating (literally) self-pity in the wake of spring bronchitis that has taken over my alveoli and is giving me a lot more empathy for coal miners.

Fortunately, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects, and this morning I was captivated by this headline in the local paper:

Could an unmanned drone bring you a burrito?

 

Is this or is this not the coolest headline in the history of the printed word? It even interrupted my usual story-skipping on the way to the Sudoku page and prompted me to read the first couple of paragraphs of the story.

The next time you feel the urge for fresh Mexican food, just look up. A taco-toting drone may be circling in the sky. Researchers at the Darwin Aerospace laboratory in San Francisco have designed the Burrito Bomber, the world’s first airborne Mexican food delivery system, which would allow customers to have food parachuted right to their doorstep.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/29/2782874/could-an-unmanned-drone-bring.html#emlnl=Morning_Headlines_Newsletter#storylink=cpy

I think the rest of the story had something to do with uses of drones and agriculture and privacy and blah blah blah, but I don't remember because I was kept having to look out the window to see if that shadow in the corner of my eye was maybe a DRONE bringing me a BURRITO!

Hey, it could happen. If you'd have told me when I was in grade school that someone was going to invent the internet I wouldn't have believed that, either, any more than I would have believed there would be bun-warmers in my car seats.

Thank you, burrito-bearing drones. You are just the ticket for distracting me from the past few weeks and from the coal dust in my lungs.

Mmmm....burritos....

No comments:

Post a Comment