Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Orts and a Blurb

The 2013 Christmas season came to an official close last night in the House on the Corner.

I know, I know, for most of you Christmas had been over for some time, but do you see that box on the puzzle table? Those are my half of the QueenBee family Christmas cards. We don't send out many, because most of our friends see us every day and many of the remainder read this blog (hi, friends!) so they're already full to the gills with our news.

The 25 or cards were ready to address and stamp almost exactly a month ago, but did I get them done before Christmas? I did not. Did I get them done before New Year's? No. Did I get them done during the 12 days of Christmas? Once again, nope.

For some reason I had a total mental block about sitting down and writing "Hope you have a great 2014!" at the bottom of our (tacky) pre-printed letter. But last night, when Husband was delayed with a client and supper was already to go on the table, I pulled out a pen and started addressing. The process took me about an hour, start to finish, and that's approximately 1/100th of the amount of time I spent cringing in guilt every time I passed the accusatory open lid of the box of cards.

So if you are one of those whose cards were supposed to be in the mail, today they are!

*****
Well, what do you know! There are a whole lot of us out there who want to de-stuff-ify during 2014. I was delighted to not be the only one who feels that creeping accumulation is beginning to strangle me. Thanks for the words of encouragement--I'm four bags down on my goal of 100, and ready to do another couple tomorrow.

For all of those who have said you'll de-stuff-ify along with me, how about a giveaway to sweeten the pot? Comment here (or on my Facebook page, if you prefer) and set your own goal (bags of stuff out of your house). The goal can be anything from 1, which is not much of a stretch if you ask me, to 1,000, which may be too much of a stretch. Let me know by the end of January that you're playing along.

Prizes will be something from my own little knitting fingers, but I don't know exactly what will be given away. (Why, yes, I'm really good at this giveaway thing. Why do you ask?) Probably a hat since I seem to be the hat queen right now, or socks if you prefer, or a stack of dishcloths. Or maybe you'll get the gorgeous shawl I have on my needles at the moment. It is PURTY.

Whatever, come and play with the rest of us de-stuff-ifiers. I'll send you some GOOD stuff!

*****
A gourd? Really? Did not know.
The ort this week will cause most of you to say "Pfffft, MomQueenBee, where have your taste buds been all their lives? Are you just now discovering this product?"

To which I will reply, "Go away, mockers. I'm thinking of butternut squash and I don't want to be distracted."

I had never cooked this bulky gourd (yes!Wikipedia says it is!) until the past six months or so, and people, I am converted. I am now buying a butternut squash pretty much every time I walk into the grocery store; it's become what jars of peanut butter were to my grocery list when the Boys were around.

We have squash roasted, pureed, baked, in stew, as a thickener for soups and chili, just about any way it can be cooked. As a rule Husband doesn't really like squash unless it has butter and brown sugar on it, but he'll go back for seconds of this variety in pretty much any form.

If you aren't yet a butternut user, don't be intimidated by the idea of peeling it. Use a large-ish knife (NOT a carrot peeler) and lop off the top and bottom inch, then peel down the sides. Oh, look! Here are instructions with photos.

Butternut squash. Get some today. Then share it with me.



7 comments:

  1. I think this is the first time I comment on your blog. You gave me an idea : I will take down that suitcase that has been in my cellar for nine years and that contains some of my late father in law's possessions. I will open it and dispose of the contents (probably to goodwill). But I will not enter the giveaway, because I am to faraway...And I also wanted to tell you that I used to think that I despised squash until my greengrocer convinced me to try butternut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, no, no Viviane. Unless you are actually living in a colony on Mars, you will receive a prize!

      Delete
    2. Just realized I meant "attic" of course, not cellar... excuse my english !

      Delete
  2. I destuffified last year (you may have noticed my constant posting of junk on CCBST) but I do recommend it. I like the French phrase for decluttering (je fais le grand ménage dans mes affaires); it sounds elegant and tasty all at once. ;) If you will help me remember, I usually have a garden FULL of butternut squash in the summer that I will gladly share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both butternut squash and de-stuff-ifying! My goal is to clean out at least one bag of things from my kids' closets every time either of them is in school or daycare but I am home and, therefore, unhindered by their sudden attachments to things they have literally forgotten then own until I go to take them to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This past week was both horrible and wonderful in terms of de-stuff-ifying my house. We had mold in our basement storage area so we had to pay people to take it all away and clean the area. Feels great to have so much gone, but oh the stress... and the knowledge that so many priceless treasures (ha) were tossed. But it feels wonderful to feel lighter and cleaner, and now I'm ready to de-stuff-ify the other areas of the house. I pledge 2 bags per week, so 104 bags this year. Wow...that actually sounds like a lot now that I look at the number. Hmmmm.... Maybe 50 would be a more true number of what I can accomplish. Yes, 50 bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I soooo need to do this. My kids HATE that I keep everything. I've been trying to do better about only keeping the really good stuff, but a habit is a habit. I'll join in, but if I set a total, I'll just wait until Dec. 15th to start (at least I know myself.), so I'm going to say I'll do at least 8 bags per month. However I'm going to have to get BUSY to make it by the end of this month!!!

    ReplyDelete