Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Gifts

I have given the Boys my Christmas list every year since they were old enough to read, and every year I hear the same complaint.

"You are so hard to buy for."

And I always defend myself.

"No, no, no. I'm easy to please. I like any kind of kitchen gadget, coffeepots and vacuum cleaners, almost anything as-seen-on-TV, things that warm me in the winter or cool me in the summer, things that are whimsical..." and I go on, and on, and on.

This morning as I left for work I glanced in the front window at the still-lit tree. The living room was peaceful and orderly but by the time I sleep again it will not be. Today everyone is traveling, one from four hours north and the others from seven hours south. A storm is blowing in from the west, and all will be racing to reach the House on the Corner before the snow does.

At the risk of sounding like a heartless mother, most of the time I don't yearn for the Boys to be home. We believe each was providentially guided to his current situation, and knowing that all are in good places for these stages of their lives fills my cup beyond overflowing. 

By tonight, God willing, everyone will be under the same roof. I'll have chili on the stove, and after the mountains of luggage and dirty laundry have been unloaded we'll sit at the same table to eat.

I'm easy to please. This is all I want for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment