Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Learning From an Egg

Free coloring pages!

Here are the questions I have about Humpty Dumpty:
  • What was his mother thinking when she named him? Was she never in junior high, where odd names are snicker-fodder?  
  • What was he doing sitting on the wall? Was there a parade passing by? Was his self-esteem so low that he didn't realize that as an egg with shoes and a bow tie he was more of an attraction than clowns on motorcycles?  
  • When HD called for first aid, wouldn't it have been better to bypass all the king's horses and go straight for all the king's men, given the no-thumbs issue that is inherent with equines, not to mention lack of pockets for Band-Aids? Didn't the stomping around of all those hooves make him nervous?

Anyway, I started my morning by with a great fall, albeit it out of my office chair rather than off a wall. This is because my office at Small College is REALLY, REALLY COLD today and I was trying to plug a space heater into the one available outlet, which is located behind my desk (historic buildings are charming but not always convenient), and in doing so leaned so far forward that my rolling chair exited west while the rest of me exited east. 

Unlike Humpty Dumpty, I did not need to be put together again. When I assessed the damage (after looking around to make sure no one had noticed and being thankful that the guy in the next office had his earphones on because it really was a fairly great fall) the only damage was an impressive tear in the back of my tights, way above the hemline of my skirt. 

I plan to be especially careful when I drive home for lunch. This is the accident my mother warned me about, the one in which your underpinnings do not reflect your true meticulous nature.

So female EMT friends in Small Town, if I should happen to need ambulance transport for any reason today, could you do me a solid? Get me out of those tights before we reach the hospital. Otherwise all the king's men couldn't put my ladylike reputation again. 

The king's horses, needless to say, would be useless. 

1 comment:

  1. Favorite parts:

    1. "and in doing so leaned so far forward that my rolling chair exited west while the rest of me exited east"

    2. "the accident my mother warned me about, the one in which your underpinnings do not reflect your true meticulous nature"


    I would start yelling, right after the accident: "OH NO. MY TIGHTS MUST HAVE BEEN RIPPED BY THIS CAR ACCIDENT."

    ReplyDelete