Monday, July 8, 2024

Not at All Smokin' Hot. No Less Delighted.

 



One of my sassier friends (Hi, A!) was a bigwig at a convention I had been scheduled to attend when we found out that Boy#4 and his Lovely Girl had chosen that weekend for their wedding. I emailed her, and laughed at her reply: "My love to you. And happy blessings on the weddings and the *smoking hot* mother of the grooms." She reminded me after my last blog post that I had promised pictures of this presumed hot-itude.

Well. 

The problems with posting pictures of oneself is that this is absolutely the most blatant, most pathetic, most eye-rollingly cringey way to force people to pay compliments. 

This is not what I'm looking for, but I get it. Ever since I entered the possibly-someday-might-be-Mother-of-the-Groom realm, weddings have focused me like a laser on what the women in the front right pew of the church were wearing. Long dresses or tea length? Blingy or subdued? Hats or no hats? If you are, or may someday be, an MoG, you want to know the how's and why's of the dress code.

This is, after all, the sole responsibility of a MoG: You must show up clothed during the wedding. (I'm ignoring, of course, the other responsibilities delineated in "Wear beige and shut up," because as if.) 

Friends, I spent more hours in the six months between engagements and weddings fretting about what I would wear to those two weddings than I did deciding what I'd wear to my own wedding. (My mother's dress. Boom. Done.) Frankly, I spent more hours fretting about this than deciding who I'd marry at my own wedding, but that's a story for another day.

The first three months I worried about dress length. Then I worried about which color. Then I worried about relative gaudiness. I spent hour after hour Googling "Mother of the Groom Dress--Long" and completely borked my social media algorithms to the point that I never saw anything but shininess and cleavage on my FaceBook ads. (Rabbit trail: Are other Mothers of the Groom as interested in let-it-all-hang-out dresses as my ads were indicating we are? Because, huh. That day has passed for most of us, sisters.)

Anyway, in March Husband decided he'd had enough of hearing me bemoan my impending nudity at two church weddings. We were heading to a weekend with the grandsons (and their keepers) in the Big City and he suggested we stop at a mall on the way. I was not a fan, since I'm famously hard to fit off the rack, but whatever. I wasn't making any progress. 

People, I married a genius! We walked out of the mall with two dresses, one that was found for me by the same saleslady who found me my dream dress for the Boy#2/Lovely Girl#2 wedding five years ago, and a second dress that practically threw itself at me after I had tried on a variety of ill-suited (So. Many. Sequins.) and ill-fitting (So. Much. Cleavage.) options. 

But did I stop fretting? Of course not. The second dress, although I thought it was beautiful, was not really compatible with the color palate of the intended wedding, so I kept looking. I ordered dress after dress to hang on the doorway to the guest room, trying them on and sighing. 

Poor Husband learned to not give an opinion even when asked. 

(Flowered Dress)
Him: "What do I think? It definitely fits the idea of the wedding theme better than the first one. Would you be able to wear a shrug or something, since I know you're uncomfortable with bare arms? It's a real possibility. What do you think?
Me: "I HATE IT!" 

(Sequined Dress) 
Him: "What do I think? Well, I think you're beautiful no matter what you wear."
Me: "I HATE IT!"

(Chiffon Dress)
Him: "What do I think?.........How about going out for supper so you don't have to cook?"
Me: "Okay."

Not counting the dozen or so dresses I tried on in the mall, our mail carrier began to routinely drop off boxes from businesses that cater to mutton dressed as lamb. Finally, a random Amazon search was the surprise answer: The wrong-colored dress I loved at the mall was available in navy blue--and navy blue was the color of the men's tuxedoes! Woohooo! 

The Mother of the Groom at the final two Weddings of the Century was definitely not smokin' hot. Clothed and appropriate would be more suitable adjectives. But I loved both dresses, and was comfortable and celebratory for hours of hugs and dozens of pictures. Worrying about how I looked did not enter into my complete delight at the occasions.

Tepid and delighted are exactly what I wanted to be.

10 comments:

  1. Well said. As the MoG for two boys, I know this journey well. And I know you don't want compliments, but you look stunning in a reserved MoG way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that worrying and fretting for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your vocabulary!!!! + you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile. I will say I dread the day I have to look for a MoG dress. And as usual you look beautiful my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn’t it funny what we agonize over, that which really isn’t a big deal in the whole scheme of things. I get it though. It’s what we do. Glad you found dresses you were comfortable in…in every sense of the word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you are not fishing for compliments, and I still have to say you looked beautiful in both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this post so much, and laughed several times (more time on this than on who you were going to marry; the husband opinion on dresses being "...why don't I take you out to dinner"). I AM INDEED interested in the topic of WHAT DO THE MOTHERS WEAR. I especially love the one on the left, and the one you wore to Boy2's wedding. I don't want to jump the gun, but may in the future be pestering you for brand information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Ricky and I was having the same conversations on the MOB side, you and I were
    comparing notes, and I went with the very first one K helped me get! We were beautiful! Now if I can just get one company to return my money for the one I ordered last and didn't wear!!!

    ReplyDelete