Monday, December 9, 2019

If This Is December, It Must Be...What?

So many tulle tutus, ready for Cinderella's entrance.

A few weeks ago Husband and I were going over my calendar, which has been increasingly unpredictable since I joined the full-time gig economy.

"You're on your own for meals on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I have rehearsals in the morning on Friday, but nothing after 3:00," I was telling him when he looked up at me.

"Is this the way your life is going to be from now on?" he said.

Well.

No, this isn't the way my life is going to be, and certainly this was not the way I had expected retirement to unfold. Apparently not having a salaried full-time job means I am like a kid with an all-rides pass at the carnival: I will run from the Ferris wheel to the Tilt-a-Whirl to  the swings to the big slides to everything else until I either throw up or pass out from exhaustion. But they're so much fun! And everything is out there waiting for me!

There are the things I had intended to write about in the past months since I left you on that Costa Rican suspension bridge: The rest of Costa Rica, including my lovely visit with a dear Peace Corps friend (Hola, Sharon!), the food (because I ate fried plantains every single time I had the chance and I do not regret that one bit), the places we stayed (one of which was the embodiment of my fantasy dream home). Also, having my 65th birthday which is all sorts of weird to even write when I feel 46 inside. Also, the Best Day of the Year. Also several other topics.

So many things I wanted to inflict on share with you, but friends, apparently there are just too many fun rides to ride.

There was, for example, the Accompany a Small-Town High School Musical ride, during  which I fell in love with the music of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown all over again. Oh, my gosh! So much fun. None of the cast had ever heard of Charlie Brown before they were cast in the play so I felt as if I should have been riding in to rehearsals in a covered wagon based on the antiquity of my personal knowledge.

And  there was the musical presented in my regular job, for which I sewed 47 (count 'em) tulle tutus for the ballroom scene of Cinderella.  My lack of finesse  as a seamstress would make my mother cringe but for costumes that are seen from a distance of at least 40 feet (stage to closest dancer) and are only in the production for four minutes, I'm the perfect choice.

And there are the 22 dozen dinner rolls and the pies I baked for the Best Day of the Year, because I do love to bake but don't have much reason to do it now that Husband and I are in the You'd Better Clean Up Your Eating Habits stage of life.

There are the Christmas stockings and special projects I'm knitting while I watch the new seasons of Hercule Poirot that have been added to Amazon's Prime library.

So many good rides, so little time. So much reluctance to ditch any of them, but so needing to do so.

Such a good life.


No comments:

Post a Comment