Monday, March 18, 2019

Excellent!

via GIPHY

Oh, hello there! 

I know, it's been two weeks since I last updated you on the happenings around these here parts, but honestly, there has not been much blog-worthy activity in the House on the Corner. It was spring break, so I was not doing my normal accompaniment gigs that kick into high gear at this time of the year, but a dissertation with a hot due date popped up in my editing gig, and a deadline in one of my other editing jobs and an unexpected day spent car shopping with Boy#3 kept me plenty busy. 

(My contribution to car shopping mostly consists of phrases along the line of "Oh, I love that color!" and "Do you think a tuba will fit in the trunk?" Husband carved a few hours away from the W-2s and 1099s to help with the decision-making and negotiation, which was a huge relief. Perfect illustration of playing to parental strengths.)

Anyway, because none of this seemed worth blogging I'm delighted to announce that I experienced a medical issue and I'm back today to overshare my personal information with the internet. Here's the back story:

Thursday, as Three and I were wandering around in the Siberian wastelands that were Big City car lots (holy cow, it was cold and windy, alternating with windy and cold) I noticed that I had a little... something on the inside of my upper lip. Not a sore, but a sore spot. It was nothing I couldn't deal with though, and LOOK! PUSH-BUTTON STARTER! was occupying my mental space. 

The next day, Friday, the sore was sorer and I looked as if the upper right quadrant of my lip-al area had been Botoxed. (Me to Husband: Does this look swollen? Husband, peering through his progressive trifocals: Uh, maybe?" Obviously I could get some serious work done before he would notice.)

But then came Saturday. Saturday I was the spittin' image of Mr. Burns up there, except with a slightly better haircut. I've had no time for cut-and-colors, and things are getting out of hand, but the area between my nose and mouth? The inability to make my lips meet? That's accurate. 

Fortunately, everything's up-to-date in Small Town, and we now have an urgent care center. That center was the inspiration for today's post title.

Small Town peeps, this place is the bomb. No appointment necessary, wait time Saturday morning of maybe five minutes, and the loveliest nurse-practitioner ever. The assistant taking my history did give me a moment of pause when I explained I had a problem with my lip and she asked which lip, as if it could have been the normal-sized one rather than the one that looked as if it had been inflated with an air mattress pump. 

When the nurse-practitioner came in we chatted for a few minutes (she was so nice!) and I flipped back the air mattress lip to show her the spot. 

"Oh, I see it!" she said with delight. "Okay, we're going to need to treat that. All of us have bacteria on our skin and somehow that bacteria got into your bloodstream there and is causing an infection. We don't want it to turn into cellulitis, and you certainly don't want that going to your eyes or your brain."
And how might that bacteria have gotten into my blood stream?


"It could have been anything--a scratch from a popcorn hull, something crunchy you were eating, an insect bite..."

Oh. My. Gosh. An insect bite? In my mouth? A spider might have crawled into my open mouth as I slept to have a lip nip? Well, we're just going to lock that thought away in the nightmare vault and assume it was the popcorn. 


Anyway, a prescription for antibiotics later, I am well on the way to recovery. By yesterday only one church friend looked at me strangely and said "Are you feeling okay? You look a little off kilter." Today I was able to Blistex both lips without incident. 


So, what's going on in your world?


Excellent!


6 comments:

  1. Asking someone if they're okay because they look "off kilter" is a fun way to put it! Instead of saying you look awful, or something like that.

    Definitely don't think about insects. Popcorn, for sure: I once broke a corner off a tooth eating popcorn, no joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm totally stealing that as my new nicer way of saying "What in the world happened to you?"

      Delete
  2. There are few things as satisfying as having a medical issue with an immediate diagnosis and a clear treatment. What a satisfying story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Medical issues so often turn the other direction.

      Delete
  3. About 6 yrs ago (um, I was an adult), I had a horrible pain in my ear. Made me dizzy. Went to the doc. I had not had an ear infection since I was a kid- could this be an ear infection? He found that a bug had crawled in my ear (I honestly cannot remember what kind, or if he could even tell- the horror of it all was so overwhelming that this detail escaped me). The bug was now dead, but its running around earlier had made me dizzy. He did not seem alarmed (maybe they teach that in med school) but I was mortified. Coach, my husband, gets PT patients referred by this doc and HE was horrified, which helped. Not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! The very, very worst YouTube I've ever witnessed was when I inadvertantly stumbled on the doctor-removing-cockroach-from-ear one. Oh, my, gosh.

      Delete