Friday, December 21, 2018

Hose for the Holidays


If you are feeling stressed by the countdown to Christmas, and the wide-eyed wonder of the season has morphed into wild-eyed panic, don't feel alone. I see you. I am you. And may I recommend an antidote?

There is nothing more effective than a pair of festive candy cane socks to help the inner Cindy Lou Who achieve a full body slam on the inner Grinch. Fortunately, festive candy cane socks are now made in support styles for those of us in the peri-geriatric age range.

Yes, those are my chubby ankles in today's shot. (And by the way, do you have any idea how difficult it is to take a picture of your own ankles? If you are ever in need this particular pose, I highly recommend the timer function of your phone's camera and a banister against which to prop that phone.)

I love the holiday season truly and dearly. The beloved carols. The antique angels handed down from our dear German neighbor, and from Husband's mother. The permission to bake All The Things that are not on the usual peri-geriatric eating plan. (These! And these! And also these! And of course, bags and bags of these.)

But as an introvert who pretends to not be an introvert, I must confess: The holidays are also exhausting.

I've spent the past week complaining to Husband about how I felt...off. Achy. Tired. Draggy. Not quite sick, but not quite well, either.

This morning he asked me at breakfast if I was feeling better. To my amazement, I was. I woke up energetic and ready to get tackle the final wrapping and Big Day preps.

"Yeah, you must be done with parties," he observed.

He's a smart man.

This week, in addition to my regular toil in the gig economy, I've had four Christmas parties. Each of these parties brought me together with people I truly enjoy. I love spending time with friends, co-workers, fellow volunteers, and eighth-grade caroling groups. I'm re-filled by the laughter and love, and oh, my, the joy when the carolers' kindergarten audience included two tiny immigrants who spoke no English and I was able to connect with them in Spanish.

Getting myself to these events, though, required effort both physical and mental. That paragraph about being an introvert? I wasn't exaggerating. I needed the energy of those green socks and my peppermint stick earrings to push me out the door, no matter how much I basked in delight once I was at the parties.

Today I'm still in my work-out clothes at mid-morning. I'm watching a cardinal perched in the branches outside the window next to my desk, knowing that the only thing on my calendar for the day is a meal to be taken to a friend who had surgery this week, and some knitting on a pattern I'm beta testing for a designer. While I do those things I'm processing this week's memories, and smiling at how blessed I am to have these people who enjoy each other and the holidays together.

And, honestly, I'm thanking my socks.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, very nice post. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    GAIA 1 litre Best Olive Oil

    ReplyDelete