Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Going With the (Ice) Flow


Kansas, for all its weird weather, does not normally have thunderstorms in February, so I was discombobulated when a peal of thunder clapped just as the instant alert system woke me at 6 a.m. to tell me the school where I have one of my gigs will be closed today. The thunder was signaling freezing rain and treacherous driving conditions. 

"Not a problem," I thought, "since it's not my day to work anyway." And I snuggled down into the blankets and fell back asleep. 

What didn't register at that dark-early moment was that I had been cleaning the house for two days in preparation for hosting my women's group tonight. I belong to two women's groups that meet regularly, one that is un-fancy and is at my house every week so they've seen it through renovation grime and dust bunnies and all manner of housekeeping faux pas. The other group is just as lovely but only meets here once every decade or so, so the renovation grime would be the sole impression of the House on the Corner.  I did not want that and had shoveled out roughly a metric ton of dust over the past several days.

When I came to full consciousness I realized that the meeting was going to be cancelled. This is a hardy group but we are no longer teenagers and this glaze of ice is the perfect recipe for broken hips all around. 

Darn it anyway. 

Clean house, new bathroom all ready to show off, and cheesecake in the refrigerator. For at least 10 minutes I sulked at the wasted preparation. And then I remembered that just 12 hours I had been sulking because this happened:

WHYYYYYY?

Now, instead of being embarrassed to serve this flawed effort to my lovely group, I could put out the call for anyone willing to brave the elements to come over for brunch. Within a few minutes a friend and I were sitting down for mid-morning cheesecake, and it turns out mid-morning is the very best time for a sliver of heavy dessert and a cup of coffee. 

Tonight, when I'm cozy in my jammies and warm robe at 7 p.m., I'll miss my group but enjoy the Olympic figure skating. 

Cheesecake, anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment