Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We Are Here! We Are Here! We Are Here!

Okay, I'll say it before you do.

"Wow, MomQueenBee, you look TERRIBLE today. Your hair is all messed up, there are bags under your eyes, you have a shocking lack of lipstick, and you probably take the worst selfies in the world. But what is this...is that your Snow Day Sweater? And is that your OFFICE in the background?"

Why, yes! Yes, that is my Snow Day Sweater. This sweater is at least 30 years old, since it's a hand-me-down from Much Older Sister and I have a picture of her wearing it as she holds her baby son, who is now 32 years old and has five babies of his own. (Well, he shares them with his wife.) The sweater is indestructible acrylic, though, and quite warm so it's what I wear during a Snowpocalypse, which is what we are having in Small Town today.

However (and this is a big 'however') Small College is open. Yes, you heard me right. The place that direct deposits my paycheck for doing a job I truly, truly love is open, so I was up at 5:30 a.m. to let everyone know that they would have the opportunity to LEARN today! Wooooo!

Shockingly, many students (and even more faculty members) were not as thrilled as you would think they would be, even when I pointed out that they were getting full value for their tuition dollars. Staying at home in pajamas drinking hot cocoa binge-watching Damages on Netflix blah blah blah something more and I forget what else seemed to trump the joys of learning.

So in this selfie you are seeing the slings and arrows of the wrath of academia hailing down on the messenger, as reflected in the haggard expression and lack of lips. But you are also seeing my OFFICE behind me, dang it.

Like the Who's down in Whoville, I am here, I am here, I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment