Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Garden Magic

There are advantages to having whatever would be the diametric opposite of a green thumb. Because I know I am capable of killing any houseplant in short order, I am surprised and delighted daily by discovery of the changes spring brings to my flowerbeds. This morning when I went out to check my newly-planted vinca and begonias, I found the iris awash in raindrops.


The azalea I planted a few years ago has exploded in hot pink, tissue-thin blossoms, although I could have sworn its flowers were white last year.

And a peony (the correct pronunciation is PEE-uh-nee, you silly Texans) that was marked down at Wal-Mart a few years ago and hasn't shown its face since I stuck it in the ground is going to bloom this year!

By mid-summer I may lose my fascination with every new leaf and blossom that appears, but this is spring magic, and right now, I'm captivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment