Tuesday, October 12, 2010

An Open Letter From Dr. Mom

Dear Boys,

You know I'm reluctant to give advice (ha!), seeing as how you're all grown up and mature (haha!), but you really should do this one thing: Get a flu shot.

I'm not kidding.

Being your mother, I am anticipating that you probably will have a few objections to this advice, even though I phrased it in the form of an order that did not invite discussion. But for the sake of that discussion, let me anticipate away.

1. "I don't have time to get a flu shot." You have time to update your FaceBook, and go to intramural football games, and plan tailgating parties. If you don't get the shot and instead get the flu, there will be no more of that fun and frivolity. Instead there will be aching and wheezing and whining and coughing. Volunteer the 15 minutes for the shot now or have the entire week drafted by illness.

2. "I don't know where to get a shot." Really? You really don't? You can explain the intricacies of a 12-tone scale or carry a full load of electrical engineering classes and you can't research this problem?

3. "It costs $15 and I'm pretty broke." Fine. Your father will pay for it. Even though Kleenexes and NyQuil alone would cost you a lot more than that.

4. "I'm depending on herd immunity." Oh, you've always been exceptional. I have no doubt that you would be the lone yak in the herd that would get Mad Yak Disease.

And finally,
5. "It's okay. If I get the flu, I can take care of myself. I'm a good patient." To that, I can only say, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ahem.

Get your flu shot. I did.

Much love,
MomQueenBee

No comments:

Post a Comment